What do you do when a dear friend says she'll be stopping by in two hours. In this instance, that friend happened to be Veggie Girl. Panic.....must make something for Veggie Girl....Think....quick....
Hmmm....what about some scones? I recently learned how to make them, and would like to share some with you. They are surprisingly easy to make, so this in now my quick giveaway treat.
The Big Picture:
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin
- Bake and serve
Makes about 18 scones
4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon plus 1teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 oz (2 sticks butter cut into small pieces)
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
Either of these can be added, or you can just leave them plain:
1/2 cup of either chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries, or any of your favorite dried fruit
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Using a paddle mixer set the mixer on low speed. Add in the butter until they form small balls. Do not over mix.
2. Add the egg, milk, cream, and vanilla. Continue to mix until dough is formed.
3. Flour the counter top with about 2-3 tablespoons of flour. Place the dough on the floured counter top. With a rolling pin, roll the dough about 3/4 inch thick. Cut the dough with a round cutter about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
4. Place the scones on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes. Serve with tea or coffee. Enjoy!
Since I am slow in the kitchen when in comes to baking, it probably took me about 45 minutes to do this, including preparing all the ingredients and equipment. Veggie Girl arrived just in time for some fresh off the oven scones. To my surprise and delight, Veggie Girl made me some of her delicious Quick Vegetable Soup. Nice!...an exchange gift after Christmas. As I always say, Christmas happens everyday. -GG-