Every year, the L.A. County Fair takes place at the Pomona Fairplex for one month. This year it's from Sept. 3 to Oct. 2. While I won't have the chance to go this year to try greasy fair food, I thought of bringing fair food home. No more excuses, right?
Funnel cakes are my favorite fair food, because I only find them at fairs. This is the only reason I go to fairs is to have a funnel cake. Thanks to the internet, I was able to find a recipe for this delicious treat. -GG-
Makes 5 funnel cakes
Adapted from momswhothink.com
2/3 cup milk
1-1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup cooking oil
2 to 3 tablespoons powdered sugar for garnish
1. Beat egg. Add milk and beat again until well incorporated.
2. In a separate bowl, combine all the other ingredients. Slowly add the milk mixture and beat with a whisk until smooth.
3. Heat up the oil on medium heat in an 8-inch non-stick pan. Test the oil for readiness by dropping a pinch of flour. If it sizzles without smoking, it's ready.
4. Put the prepared batter in a pastry bag, or you could use a Ziplock bag and cut a small triangle from one corner of the bag.
5. Slowly squeeze the batter from the bag into the hot oil in any shape you want. Be creative and have fun. Cook until golden brown. Turn the funnel cake over and cook until golden brown. Serve immediately. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
|Have fun with the shapes.|
|The Star. My favorite shape.|