Spam is one of my family's guilty pleasures. Because it's a canned, processed meat product, I try not to buy it too often but every once in awhile, we would indulge in a good Spam meal. My kids love Spam and every time they smell the aroma of it frying in the pan, they'll run to the kitchen in total excitement.
I've cooked it for breakfast by simply pan frying sliced Spam and then serving it with scrambled eggs or open faced with toasted bread and a dollop of ketchup. For lunch, I've made Spam Musubi as well as this recipe that I'm posting today -- Spam with Cabbage. The kids love this dish too and will heartily gobble it up with a bowl of rice. I make it soupy so that I can drown my rice in the savory Spam flavored broth. So yummy! ~ Veggie Girl
|You can use any variety of Spam.|
I believe they come in the following flavors:
Regular, Bacon, Hickory Smoked, Spicy
(with Tabasco) and Garlic. You can find
regular Spam almost anywhere but only
some stores carry the other varieties.
SPAM WITH CABBAGE
Makes 6 servings.
Half a can of Spam, any flavor, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1-1/2 lbs. of cabbage, roughly shredded
3 cups water
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
|Prep the ingredients: Mince the garlic, shred the cabbage and dice the Spam.|
1. Heat up a large pan. When hot, add the diced Spam to it and saute until browned. You should not need to add oil during this process because the heat will draw out a little oil from the Spam. Once the Spam has browned evenly, remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to the same pan and saute the garlic lightly until fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Add the shredded cabbage and the Spam back into the pan and stir fry everything together for a minute.
|From left to right: Diced Spam frying up in the pan, stir frying the garlic, cabbage and Spam together, and finally, adding the water to the pan before simmering.|
3. Add the water to the pan, reduce heat to medium and place a lid over the pan. Simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the cabbage is soft and tender.
4. Add the sugar and salt to taste. Keep in mind that because Spam is already salty, you should not need to add too much more salt to this dish.
5. Serve immediately with a bowl of rice. Enjoy!